Cantilevered stairs are a staircase system in which one end of each individual step is connected to the wall by means of steel pins or bolts. Finally constructed steps give a floating stair appearance.
Cantilevered stairs can be constructed using different materials hence creating different impressions. They can be made out of stainless steel, wood, stones, concrete, or glass materials.
Advantages of Cantilever Steps
The main advantages of cantilever steps are mentioned below:
- The cantilever gives a pleasing appearance
- The staircase appears to be light.
- The steps allow to let light to pass through different level
- The steps on a whole provide a floating appearance
Disadvantages of Cantilever Steps
The main disadvantages of cantilever stairs are:
- Huge loads result at the end of sag.
- These structures do not appear very strong and sturdy
- Most cantilever staircase system avoids balustrade, which is a dangerous decision.
- The gaps between each step may feel uncomfortable for some citizens