Bathrooms can be categorized into several different types based on their size and function. The smallest footprint for a bathroom is usually the powder room and the half bath. There are plenty of variations like the master bathroom, the kid’s bathroom, the bathroom with laundry facilities, with fixtures and features that are accessible to the physically challenged, and many more.
General design guidelines
- The bathroom should be ideally located on the north of the house.
- The ideal layout should make the most of the available natural light and natural ventilation.
- In multi-story buildings, bathrooms should be located one above the other. By this, the cost of the plumbing system is considerably reduced.
- Adjoining bathrooms, but of different apartments, should not share the same plumbing and the same ventilation system.
- A bathroom is a humid and wet place. Thus, all surfaces should be cleaned easily and prevent mold growth.
- Floor surfaces should not be slippery.
- The bathroom should have at least one schuko socket.